CARING FOR DAY OLD CHICKS
WHEN TO INTRODUCE WATER TO CHICKS.
Water is life to chicks! What is the importance of water to chicks? It is important to consider water as a key component to the growth of your chicks. Give your chicks water as soon as they hatch from either your incubator or when they hatch from a brooder hen. Water will give them the boost that they need to survive despite their weak and feeble bodies with or without a mother hen to keep raising them. Water and good quality feed are by far the most important ingredients to facilitate the proper growth of your chicks.
IMPORTANCE OF WATER TO CHICKS
Water is not only important to chicks but also to fully grown or growing chickens. The following are the advantages of water to baby chicks,
- Helps with digestion.
- Improves metabolic rate of chicks.
- Cools the chicks on hot days.
LIQUID PARAFFIN, GLUCOSE, AND WATER.
Chicks need a lot of water. Water must be available to chicks at all times. Once the chicks hatch, dip your chick’s beaks in a solution of water, glucose, and liquid paraffin. The importance is;
- Water; water is life! It should be available to chicks at all times. The methods of providing water to your chicks should be clean and frequently disinfected. The use of chicken drinkers should be avoided since they may cause the drowning of the chick. The best way to provide water to chicks is by using nipple drinkers. You may upgrade or downgrade according to the rate of growth of your chicks.
- Glucose; is a common ingredient in chick feed and water. Glucose is important because it provides the chick with enough energy to move around. Energy is also required as an extra boost for the chick’s metabolism.
- Liquid Paraffin; helps in the chick’s digestion. Essentially, chicks are babies and need help with their ingestion. The good thing about using liquid paraffin in your chick water is it clears the digestive tract of the chick.